This weekend was a real treat for me… my first friend (from first grade :) is getting married in ALASKA, so she & her soon-to-be-husband came back home for a fabulous party. Wedding parties are great fun, of course, but catching up with friends you haven’t seen in YEARS is even better! Oh the memories… things I haven’t thought of since… well, I really can’t remember when I remembered them last, but it’s been a while. All weekend long, two quotes keep filling my mind & my heart…
“Make new friends but keep the old, one is silver & the other gold”
& from Proverbs… “A Friend Loves at All Times”
I’ll be the first to admit that I am not the best friend when it comes to staying in touch. I am still stubbornly standing my ground in my refusal to join Facebook, though the Facebook sirens lure me with their connectedness…. But let’s be honest, if I can’t find the time to keep up with the 5 actual friends I have, how in the world can I make time for the 100 half-way-friends-but-really-more-acquaintances????
Still, I know I need to do better…. To make a conscious effort to have some form of meaningful correspondence with these people who have such a special place in my life… people who share some of my greatest childhood, teenhood, collegehood memories. Which brings me back to the quotes…. For the truest friends in life are surely those who stand the test of time and space… Friends who you can pick up with right where you left off (even if you can’t remember exactly where that was!) … Friends who know your faults probably more than you even know your own , yet they still love you, for who you are & aren’t. New or Old, Silver or Gold…. Those friends that love you at all times… Those are the best… the truest…. They know my face, like a book… & I theirs. And to see those same goofy smiles that look just like they did in the first grade, well… that’s better than any status update I can think of. There are just some things that can’t replace face-to-face friends.
Loving your posts!! :-)
ReplyDelete