I remember it like it like it was yesterday… the day we found out our sweet baby was a girl… oh the excitement. I also remember vividly the doctor’s words when she looked at the ultra-sound pictures…
“There it is!” she said with a grin. “See right there? That’s her brain. Some day you will wonder if there’s anything in there, so I’m showing you now… there is.”
It was funny then, but today… oh today… those words came flooding back to me as I said to The Goose…
“Do you know why Mommy & Daddy tell you not to jump on the beds, and not to stand up in chairs, and not to jump on tables(!)?” She shook her head no. “We tell you that because if you fall you will hit your head. And do you know what’s inside your head?” Again, I get a no. “Your brain. And a brain is a very important thing.”
This little anatomy lesson was followed by a serious come-to-Jesus about using our brain and listening to Mommy & Daddy.
Fast-forward two hours… while talking on the phone to Mimi, The Goose (out of nowhere of course) interjects, “Daddy, what’s in your head? … A brain?... Our brains are important.”
Oh yes they are…. VERY important… and sometimes I marvel at how they work… and sometimes I wonder if they work at all…. But thanks to Dr. D, I know it’s in there… somewhere!
No comments:
Post a Comment