Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Christmas Cards

Every year I sit down & attempt to compose a meaningful Christmas card message, with the hopes that someone (or maybe two) will actually read it.


Every year I contemplate not sending said cards as my dear accountant husband calculates the cost of 100+ photos, cards, &, of course, postage.

Every year I try to cut down my list in a vain attempt at reducing this line item in the budget.

And every year I come to the same conclusion… Generally speaking, I do not correspond with 90% of my Christmas card recipients… Many have never even met, or at best, rarely see the Goose… Most have a very special place in my heart & are worth much more than the 87 cents I spend on their annual greeting.

And so, instead of opting out or cutting down, the list grows… New friends are added, old friends remain. Sadly, each year also brings a few deletions of those who have gone home. But the tradition stands… come hell or high water… no matter how much the postal service increases the cost of a measly stamp… even if the Goose refuses to smile for the picture & has the worst hair day ever… the cards must go out… So that you know that you are special to us, even if I am worse-than-terrible at keeping up with 90% of you… at some point in our lives, you made an impression on our hearts… you made the list.

Here’s hoping I can sum all that up in five sentences or less.

No comments:

Post a Comment