Some people have favorite super-bowl ads… I have favorite black-Friday ads. The best of which I award to Target. Most of you, I hope, have seen the well-groomed, ultra-prepared, & overly-excited blonde lady as she counts down the days to the biggest shopping day of the year. Here’s my favorite clip… (for those of you who have no clue what I’m talking about AND for those of you who find these commercials as humorous as I do)
I cannot compare to the Target-lady, but I must admit, walking through the parking lot Friday morning (at a respectable 8:30… no, I am not crazy enough to get up early... not even for Target deals) I felt a bit like her. I was pumped… speed-walking through the wet parking-lot… practically racing people to those shiny red doors. Inside, things were still crowded, but everyone was friendly, there were fine folks in every department eager to help, and every line was open. The rush of bargain-hunting adrenalin brought a smile to my face, as did the buggy full of goodies (I got everything on my list! … & then some), the line with no waiting, and, of course, the savings boldly printed on my very long receipt.
At this point, you may be thinking I am a big dork. And that’s ok with me… but as I walked back to my car & drove home, I couldn’t help but think…. THIS is what Advent is supposed to be like! I know “Black Friday” is not the official beginning to the Advent season, but let’s be honest, it is the beginning of most of our Christmas preparations, celebrations & anticipations. And if you stop and think a minute, there are a lot of similarities between Black Friday & Advent. Both are times of waiting, anticipating, seeking, excitement & joy. Even the odd hours of shopping-madness find a parallel in Advent, for Jesus Himself told us that He would return like a thief in the night.
Advent is supposed to be the time we look earnestly for our Savior, seeking His return as we celebrate His birth. Shouldn’t we as Christians be a bit more like the Target lady? Shouldn’t we be training & preparing for His arrival? Shouldn’t we be eagerly awaiting, counting down the days & minutes to Jesus’ return? Shouldn’t we be so pumped to get to see Him that we are practically sprinting just to get a glimpse?
Maybe I am odd for finding theology in Black Friday, but I hope I am like the nice blonde lady when it comes to Jesus. And I hope this Advent finds you with an inexplicable smile on your face, a spring in your step, & maybe even a parachute on your back as you train, seek, and some day see our Lord.
“Be dressed in readiness & keep your lamps alight […] for the Son of Man is coming at an hour that you do not expect.” ~Luke 12: 35-40
Michael and I love her! We would get so excited every time one of these commercials would come on. I think she's a Southerner... she has her purls on no matter what! :-)
ReplyDeleteLove that Target lady!!! Great post, as always! I look forward to reading yours!
ReplyDelete