I can't believe this day is here. I thought it would be easy but am surprised at my own apprehension. I am anxious about more than a few things, but the goose is all excitement. She is ready, but I don't want to let go. Sure we make each other batty on a regular basis. No I don't have the knowledge, gifts, or patience to teach her myself. Still, I want to hold on. It feels like I am letting her loose all alone in the big scary world, though I know it's just kindergarten.
She didn't want a new book bag. (Which is rightly called a backpack as she reminds me that you don't take books to kindergarten.) She turned up the offer for a new lunch box. (Rightfully called a lunch bag. I stand corrected, again.) She did request a $13 princess water bottle which I frugally vetoed and pointed her instead toward an equally useful $3 water bottle with flowers on it. She can write. She can read. She can add. She is ready. No fear. She doesn't know a soul and says she doesn't care. She required a mama-manicure (twice) in five different colors no less for the first day of 5-K... Some new socks.... And a peanut butter and honey sandwich with extra honey. Two weeks of practice going to sleep and getting up early. Three years of preschool. And five-plus years of getting mama ready to let go.
Camera (forgotten by the door, thank you Lord for phone cams!)
Bracelet (to remind her that she is loved)
Kiss (one on the cheek and one in her hand to hold onto all day)
Hugs (for me and Sissy)
And no tears (Surprisingly! I was just hoping to make it back to the car first)
Here we go... I’m turning the goose loose.




No comments:
Post a Comment