Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Happy Birthday Indeed...

Today would have been Grandan’s 95th birthday… And since I’ve let weeks go by without sharing any memories of him, I thought today was an appropriate time to reminisce. I had the privilege of saying a few words at his funeral, so perhaps I will just share those…


As I wonder through my memories of Grandan, I cannot help but think of how my daughter will remember him, and I pray that she will. I suspect that she will remember him sitting in his big chair, sleeping, humming, or pretending to talk to her on his “phone” (he held the remote to his lift chair while she “talked” on Granny’s calculator). She might remember how he always told her goodbye with a kiss and a “sweet baby” or his signature, booming “let’s eat!” after asking the blessing each Sunday. All her memories of him will be good ones & for that, I am eternally grateful.


Those of us who lived with him a little longer will treasure our own good memories, though we might also remember that he, like us all, was not perfect. He could be tough… holding everyone, not just his family, to a very high standard. We didn’t always meet his expectations, especially when it came to pruning, gardening & farming, but he pushed us to do what he thought was best – for the plants, the cows & for us. He had good intentions to be sure… He wanted us all to be the best. And I think he would be pretty proud of his work… we didn’t turn out too bad.

So as we remember him, we will sort through our memories & pick out our favorites… picking watermelons, strawberries, grapes… the glimmer in his eye when he laughed (usually at his own story of times gone by)… the unidentifiable tunes he whistled all the time… the nicknames he gave… his distinct cattle call… the smoke that trailed him as he drove his Harley Davidson golf cart… the pictures he talked to when he walked through the living room… his huge, strong hands… & how very much he loved his bride… These are the good things we will remember… but the best & most precious memory will be that of his faith.


We will remember how everything he did, he did for the Lord… how he gave his best & demanded our best to be a reflection of Christ in the world. How he poured over the scriptures & pondered their meaning, even in his old age… he never stopped studying… he never stopped learning… he never stopped praying… he never stopped serving God. He longed to go home to Jesus, though he hated to leave us here. But now, he is home, resting in the arms of Christ & welcomed by those he loved on this earth. Now he has done his best, and pushed us to do the same. He gave us all a model of a faithful child of God… I pray we all do our best to follow. And so I will hold to this as my greatest memory of him... as I feel it summarizes his life so well… from Paul’s letter to the Philippians the second chapter:

Therefore, my beloved, as you have always obeyed, so now, not only as in my presence but much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Do all things without grumbling or questioning, that you may be blameless and innocent, children of God without blemish in the midst of a crooked and twisted generation, among whom you shine as lights in the world, holding fast to the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I may be proud that I did not run or labor in vain.
Philippians 2:12-16

... a Happy Birthday indeed.

... as a young man... circa 1940s...


... looking out over the cows... circa 1960...

... with his 6 brothers, 3 sisters, & mother... circa 1970...
(3rd from left)


...at our wedding...


No comments:

Post a Comment